Powered by Blogger.

4.24.2006

trading one poison for another

Today, I officially begin my 30 day alcohol abstinence, which is the first phase of the moderation management program. Technically, it will be a smidge over 30 days, since I plan to go until the end of May.

I knew I was planning on doing it, but this morning really nailed it for me. I'm tired of waking up on Sat or Sun mornings, and realizing that I'd blown all of my hard work in one night. I'm tired of feeling bloated/hung over/lethargic from drinking too much the night before. I'm tired of not really being sure what my weight is, because I'll be up on the weekend after drinking, and back down mid week.

Since I've started this weight loss effort 7 weeks ago, I've learned an awful lot about myself. Part of that is that I don't have very good control when it comes to food, alcohol, and money. I'm sure in these 30 days I will dig deeper into why I overeat/drink/spend. It'll be a pain at parties, but I'm happy to take the weight loss benefits of abstinence as a trade off.

*~*~*~*
But I can't give up coffee. Won't give up coffee. I tried and succeeded for about 2 years, but just love the taste of it too much. A cup of decaf turned into 1/2 decaf-1/2 regular, which turned into a full cup of regular, and now 2 cups a day. I'll work on minimizing this particular poison, since I don't particularly need a hole in my gut, but on mornings like today, its a life saver.


1 comments:

Amazon Alanna said...

I hardly drink at all now. Maybe 1 glass of wine per week and only if we go out to dinner.

For parties, I volunteer to be designated driver. I drink diet soada and water at parties...

This has helped my weight loss "journey" a lot, and I'm sure that all the hard work of refusing to imbibe will pay off in pounds.

 

About