Powered by Blogger.

4.19.2006

anger, ignorance and perception of the jelly doughnut

Last night, I went with Caro to check out a beginner's meditation class at the Kadampa Buddhism Centre. I already felt considerably lighter after resolving the DMV/Car/Traffic Court issues on Monday, as well as finally finishing up my taxes.

Kadam Lucy was a great speaker - quite personable, humble and humorous. Unfortunately, I'd also just worked out (kickboxing with weights) and didn't stretch properly afterwards, so I was sore and in pain the whole session through. I was also bothered by the lights being on the whole time of the meditation, and the temple felt a bit too much like a church to me - my Catholic guilt just kicked in.

However, we did learn that the three delusions are anger, ignorance and perception of the jelly doughnut. We're not really sure what she was talking about with the third one, but something to the extent of we believe that the jelly doughnut will bring us happiness, but the delusion is in our projected happiness not the actuality of the jelly doughnut.

It felt a little bit like the spoon scene in the original Matrix.

I'm not sure if I'll go back, but I made Caro a deal that if she checked out Kundalini yoga with me, I might go with her again. Ultimately, I think I just needed something more physical - I'm still somewhat stuck on Bikram - or at least a chair where my feet reach the floor.

1 comments:

msmargie said...

The jelly doughnut sounds like my friend's shrimp hole. When she was little, her parents had shrimp for dinner on occasion, and would always tell her that shrimp was for grownups. As a result, she grew up coveting shrimp. Now that she's an adult she cannot get enough shrimp. It's never enough because what she wants isn't just shrimp - it's the idea of being allowed to have something forbidden. Hence the shrimp hole - it can't be filled; it's just a bottomless pit. Unfortunately way too many people have shrimp holes having to do with validation or love which they feed with food.
Okay, enough rambling. Sounds like it was a good event (aside from the cramps and the Catholic guilt).

 

About