Powered by Blogger.

12.23.2005

out with the old...

So cliche. And yet, never more appropriate than this year. I found a whole new meaning to "decluttering" this year... one that included old friendships that had long ago died, old habits that needed to be broken, new people that made me unhappy, and lots of emotional baggage that I finally tossed - along with 9 bags of size 0 clothes.

One of my friends once commented to me: "You're the only person I know that breaks up with friends." Maybe. Or maybe I'm just more clear cut about it. In any case, I've finally ended relationships with people that probably should have been severed long ago. It makes an amazing difference, when your friends are people that you actually enjoy being around, not ones that you feel obligated to or are friends with out of habit or loneliness.

More importantly, I learned to let go of new relationships that weren't making me happy - both friends and boys. Some people might say I'm mean, insensitive, or a bitch. None of which I deny. But what the hell is the point of sticking around with people that you just complain about? Is there really a reason to be friends with someone just because you once dated? Stay friends with someone because, once, long ago, they did something nice?

Maybe I should say "Out with the Catholic guilt" instead. As kinorvelle pointed out - "It ain't worth hanging out with the guy working the hot dog stand." Especially when you find someone else that makes you happy.

0 comments:

 

About