Powered by Blogger.

4.09.2006

crêpes and wine

On Friday afternoon, Karen and I decided to do an impromptu dinner on Saturday where the main goal was to stay in and drink wine. It quickly turned into a gathering of 7 people and we didn't stay in... but we did drink a lot of wine.

Heather, Karen, Agnes, Fernando and the two Eric's headed over. Pretty much everyone brought a bottle of wine (or 2... or 3) and we started drinking as we waited for EricPop to arrive. We knew he would be late - he was moving that day out of Casa 420 to our 'hood, and was still packing at 3:30 in the afternoon.

Instead of making the crêpes and filling for everyone, we set up a "filling bar" and let people choose what they wanted. Then EricH and I - ok, mostly Eric - would help us make it in the pan. The spread included smoked salmon, prosciutto, mozarella, cheddar, brie, tomatoes, sauteed mushrooms, eggs, scallions, and fresh parsley and basil. But my biggest accomplishment that night was the caramelized onions that I made for the first time. They were just a little burnt, because the initial temperature I had the pan on was too high, but ended up sweet, savory and delicious!


The filling bar


Crepe and Agnes' filling choices


Eric is on the phone, as usual ;-)


We also had a salad with the infamous French homemade balsamic, baked tomatoes, and a healthy version of green bean casserole, made with fresh green beans, broccoli, baby carrots, cauliflower and low-fat cream of mushroom soup. It was considerably better for you than the traditional recipe, but French's fried onions were still 1093 calories for the topping!

ePop finally arrived, and of course, the raunchy talk started. Most of it is inconsumable by the public, but the quote of the night has got to be: "Oho! With what color would you like me to impale you with?"


ePop is veeeeeeery hungry


We love wine


The last remnants of 1259, before it officially became Casa 420


Karen, striking a pose


After dinner and dessert, which consisted of crêpes with nutella and strawberry, Grand Marnier and strawberry, and dark chocolate and banana, ePop's friend Carlos ("Spicy Eggs!") came to pick us up and we headed for a loft party also in Potrero. Unfortunately, I was already pretty drunk by that point which means - you guessed it! - I drank more. I'm unclear if I drank another bottle of wine there, or if I spilled most of it. It seems like there was a lot of spillage caused by me last night, but from the state of my head today, at least some of it got into me.


"Ok, Karen, how many times are you going to take this picture?"


FERNANDO! Where is your head?!


Cute group pic


*~*~*~*
This morning, I woke up completely confused. Why was I sleeping on the couch, why was Fernando sleeping on the loveseat, and why was Heather in my bed? Apparently, after we left the party, EricH dropped us home and we all sort of passed out.

But not before playing some random musical sofas. Heather was on the big couch, but when she went to get up to use the bathroom, Fernando took it over. Despite poking him for several minutes, he didn't budge. For some reason, I ended up passed out on top of him (not like that) so Heather just went into my room. When Eric and Agnes came back, we were so out of it that the two of them cooked more crepes at 4 in the morning, and we didn't even have an inkling!

At 8:45 am, my alarm went off, which prompted Heather to come out and complain. I decided to go back to sleep in my bed, Fernando crawled into Phillipe's (without bothering to move the laptop on it) and Heather was "just going to lay down until my head stops hurting." At around 1pm, her head finally stopped hurting - in other words, she was passed out cold for 4 hours. "Has Fernando already left?" she said, coming into my room. "Nope - he's still immobile," I replied, pointing to the heap.

We finished off the crêpes for brunch and then started our days around 2. By passing out again.

Blech. I feel less than human right about now.

0 comments:

 

About