Powered by Blogger.

5.21.2005

garage sale madness

First of all, yes - I know I suck. My apologies to those of you who showed up to SWIG last night on my invite. Especially Gerardo and Alex, whose bday party I missed once again. Thank God they're having another one :-)

But I had a completely legitamite excuse - Heather and I were moving stuff down to the garage until 11 last night, and we just totally passed out face-down on the couch. If I didn't burn some serious calories these last couple of days, I don't think I ever will...

On that note, our Garage Sale/Sidewalk BBQ was an unexpected success. Unexpected because I never thought that people would be waiting outside for us to open the doors at 11; a success because I managed to sell most of my big pieces, and made about $300. Unfortunately, we didn't get rid of most of the little junk - there are still boxes of trashy romance novels if anyone wants them! - but they're all packed up and ready for Goodwill.

The Garage Sale itself wasn't the main point of the day though - we ended up firing up the grill and having good friends, great conversation, and some very yummy food. Laura's peach salsa still blows me away, and the chicken-apple sausage from Trader Joe's was just incredible.

Some memorable moments from our first (and hopefully ONLY garage sale):

  • The woman who showed up and just took the ENTIRE free box. She didn't even bother to look through it to see what was in it.
  • Accidentally selling Larissa's chair. Oops. Glad I gave her a discount on that TV.
  • Laura spending all of the money she made shopping.
  • Fernando trying on the skirt, and Eric trying on the bra. Must be something in the water at MIT.
  • My "Everything (marked in red) 1/2 off!" sign. I ended up jumping up and down with it to attract customers... and it actually worked!
  • Ohhhh, the food. Did I mention the sausages?



Fernando and Laura simulataneously rummage, while drinking beers...


... while Johnny and Larissa set up more stuff.


Heather does the happy dance


My infamous sign


I'm sure its that and not my jumping up and down that created attention.


We even put the whiteboard to use, promising free parking for potential customers.


Fernando extols the many virtues of the dress.


Personally, Eric, I think the bra looks fabulous on you.


I think we sold more stuff to each other than we did to outside customers.

At 2:15, I had to leave to get to my dance workshop. I flirted with the idea of wearing a mini-skirt, fishnets and boots as my costume for the show, but it was impossible to dance in. Plus, I felt like a streetwalker. So Irma, Jasmine and I are going shopping on Thursday.

Now, I must collapse...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey now! I had $5.25 leftover... and my living room looks fabulous now! :-)

 

About