Powered by Blogger.

5.02.2005

clenching & thrusting - a.k.a. hip hop workshop begins!

I don't get embarassed easily. I think I've just done too many stupid things, walked into too many walls, to really bother anymore. Falling out of a chair everytime a boy I like walks by? Check. Being caught in the laundry room in my underwear b/c my pants weren't dry yet? Whatever. Tripping on the mic cord and banging my head into the microphone in front of 300 people? Yeah, happened more than once.

And yet I managed to completely mortify myself this weekend at the first session of our hip hop workshop.

For those of you who don't know, my dance instructor - Micaya - runs this hip hop performance workshop every year for beginners to perform in. Its a ton of fun, especially for those of us (i.e., me) who are really not good enough dancers to perform anywhere besides a back alley. I was super excited this year, because I knew a bunch of people, and I hadn't seen them in a while.

Well, we're doing this kind of whipping motion with our hands, and we're supposed to be thrusting our hips as well. I don't know what crack I was smoking, but I just couldn't get it. So of course, I raise my hand and ask:

"Micaya, how do you thrust?"

Micaya gives me this look, and is like, "Serena, just how old are you?"

To which I reply, "I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I think I'm clenching too much."

Of course, the entire class of 25 people just lose it laughing. As soon as the words come out of my mouth, my face bursts into flames of embarassment. I even managed to make Monty - who regularly cracks sexual innuendo jokes - turn red.

I did get a couple of offers from people to help me practice my thrusting, though. What nice boys they are.

*** To see my perfected thrusting technique, and more hella tight dance moves, make sure you come to Mission in the Mix, performing at Dance Mission Theatre on June 10, 11, 17, 18, and 19!! More info coming soon... ***

0 comments:

 

About