Powered by Blogger.

5.08.2005

disco de mayo

No one really thought that we were going to make it to our GMAT study session today. Especially since Alex (one of my study buddies) was at Ericn H's Disco de Mayo party last night, and at one point, Fernando and I were on the kitchen floor with beer all over us.

After a grueling 3 hour dance workshop, I drove like a bat out of hell to get home, shower, and meet Fernando for dinner at Tsunami. We made it there just in time, and had a fabulous dining experience at quite possibly the ONLY sushi restaurant that is better than Chin's. Yes, its outrageously expensive - almost twice what a typical meal at Chin's cost. But, for once, I can say that I really really enjoyed it, rather than walking out feeling like I just didn't get my money's worth.

I hadn't seen Fern in a while, so we caught up over sake and sushi. Fernando has become somewhat of a sake connoisseur, so we both got different sake samplers. The samplers each come with three different grades of sake. I don't know much about sake, but I was pretty darn excited when I got one named "Demon Slayer."

(A moment of silence for the demise of Buffy, please.)

We're also both big straight fish fans, so we only ordered one roll - a shrimp tempura roll topped with unagi and avocado - and splurged on an extra appetizer. The roll was so-so, but the Magic Mushroom dish was *amazing*. I also liked the Fire on the Ahi dish, but it was a bit on the spicy side for me.

The really amazing part of the dinner was the fish. We went for two of their specials - the Toro Aji and the Moi - as well as some sake sashimi and the hamachi. All were winners, but the suprise of the night was the hamachi. It was so soft and rich, it just melted in your mouth.

After dinner, we headed back to Fernando's to pick up some wine for the house party, nibbled on a couple of liquor-filled chocolates, and we were off!

*~*~*~*~*

As always, the ESL house party was a ton of fun. Carol did comment that we barely knew anyone there, and its true - the turnover in roommates and significant others brought a different, and slightly younger crowd. DJ ePop was spinning downstairs, and the combination of hip hop dance class, Fernando's drunken antics, and very nice champagne brought out the party.

Eric H (who, I might add, I hadn't seen in SIX MONTHS!) commented that everytime he walked into a room with us, his first thought was, "What the HELL is going on here?!?" I remember precious little of that, except for when we ended up on his kitchen floor. Oh, and also apparently I ejaculated candle wax on the coffee table when we used this huge candle as a strap on. But I digress...


See, what happened was that Fernando, for whatever reason, decided to put his foot on my shoulder. Heather was pretty impressed, and I was like, "Hey, I can do that!" Well, once upon a time I might have been able to, but either the lack of yoga, the jeans, or a combination thereof made it mighty difficult. To accomodate me, Fernando bent down, holding my foot in one hand and the drink in the other.

I don't know what happened. All I know is that we fell, and Fern didn't want to let go of either my leg or the drink. So we ended up on the floor in the kitchen, at which point Eric walks in.

Quotes of the night:

"Fernando, stop drinking. Your gay is starting to come out." - Me, trying to take a drink away from him

"I'm one bad-ass motherf***er (hiccup)."
- Greg

"You don't remember my name, do you?" Fernando asks
"Um, its Jimmy, isn't it?" - Maha



The ESL roomies


Happy newlyweds Nicolas and Svava


I *told* you his gay was coming out...



Getting hot and bothered over frozen pizza


Heather and I passed out sometime around 2...


... but the party goes on for everyone else.

A wonderful night, as always. I'm sad that the ESL household is somewhat breaking up, as newlyweds Svava and Nicolas are moving out and down to the Peninsula at the end of the month. It won't be the same without our Icelandic princess.

0 comments:

 

About