Powered by Blogger.

5.15.2005

bay to breaking and entering

After last year's insanity, I deliberately tried to avoid this year's Bay to Breakers by cloistering myself in my room to study. And yet, the madness came and found me anyways.

At about 3 this afternoon, in the middle of some Reading Comp problem sets, ePop knocks on my door and says, "There's someone here looking for you." Since he was entertaining some friends, and it was one of those friends who answered the shouted inquiry from our 2nd story window, I didn't pay much attention. And, I have to admit, I was a little afraid that it might be that dood that I gave my number to last weekend and he called at 10:30 the next morning. (Note to boys: Overeagerness is unattractive, especially when it wakes the girl up from her hangover nap.)

I walk out about 20 minutes later to find Fernando camped out by our couch. Apparently, the boy was part of a Beeramid float for Bay to Breakers. When they got to Ocean Beach, some sort of bruhaha broke out, and while he was watching it, the Beeramid float disappeared, with his bag still on it. He went looking for it, since his wallet, keys, and phone were in his bag, but no luck. By the time he went back, his friends were gone too.

At a complete loss, he walked over to my house, which is luckily for him right along the B2B route and a mere 20 blocks away.

I laughed at him for about 30 minutes, threw a couple of inanimate objects at him for being a dork and resumed studying while he tried to chase down the phone number of the owner of the Beeramid. Finally, he got in touch with the guy, and we set off to get his bag from the Presidio.

One small problem, though: As soon as the front door closed behind us, I realized that I left my keys inside the house.

For the record, I blame this completely on him. We tried calling Eric, Heather, and Nathan - to no avail. Larissa, who lives in apartment 2, let us in the front door, but the apartment door was locked, so we climbed up the fire escape and tried to break in through the kitchen window. I realized then and there that I'd better get cracking with the bschool apps, since I proved to be a completely inept burglar.

Finally, Eric and Megan arrived home and rescued us. Exhausted and hungry, we drove to the Presidio, got his bag, and headed for dinner in Noe Valley. Which was great, except that Fernando was planning on treating me, but of course, he left his wallet in the car. What a scam. So now he owes me a nice, expensive meal. I'm thinking Gary Danko's...

We did finally go to Mitchell's, though, which he's been telling me about forever. I ordered the Kalhua Mocha Cream, but the magic shell was so overpowering that I couldn't really taste the ice cream much. *Sigh.* So much for my quiet day of being a hermit.

0 comments:

 

About