Powered by Blogger.

4.18.2005

indulgence does not always lead to well-being

Despite a week of pampering, I still managed to come down with a nasty case of strep throat, complete with fever, body aches, insomnia and sore throat.

On Thursday, I headed to
Novella Spa for an early-morning treatment. Usually, I'm a strict IO or Tru girl, but Goldstar Events was offering 50% off the Javanese Beauty Treatment, and I'd never had a body scrub before. So I said, "Heck, why not?" and booked it.

Novella is an interesting spa... not only do they have all the standard treatments, but they also have a bevy of imported (and overpriced) goods from Southeast Asia. The service itself was amazing - I slipped into the most amazingly comfortable robe, and was served ginger tea both before and after - but I wasn't terribly impressed with the treatment itself. I don't think its that Novella didn't do a good job, I think that its just a little outrageous to pay $150 for a body scrub and a mask. I still want to try a wrap, but I think I'll stick to facials and massages for now.

Thursday night, I had Indian food with a friend, where I promptly spilled water all over myself and put rice pudding in my food rather than raita. (It wasn't bad, actually.) On Friday, Brian and I headed to the Opening Night party for some new exhibits at the Yerba Buena Center. I don't know... I don't think I'm very well-cultured or artistically inclined. I thought the photographs being exhibited were rather boring - they definitely didn't strike any emotional chord in me - and was more interested in watching all the hipsters prance around the center.

After sleeping in on Saturday, I headed to my second spa treatment of the week - the Clean Sweep facial at Tru Spa. Although my loyalty is first and foremost to International Orange, Tru is a good backup because IO doesn't offer a broad range of services. For example, although I'm mad about IO's Dr. Hauschka facial, they don't offer microdermabrasion, which I really wanted to try.

Tru does have much to recommend it. I was served champagne, brie, water crackers and grapes upon entering the spa. The facial itself was pretty relaxing, although I would have preferred more of a reflexology emphasis in the hand/foot massage she gave. (IO does an amazing job with the massage during their facials.) And I did come out glowing...

Post-Tru, I drove like a bat out of hell to get home, shower, and meet Heather B back at Yerba Buena. This time, we went to see Alonzo King's Lines Ballet for 1/2 price - courtesy of Goldstar, of course. We had fantastic seats - 4th row right - and the ballet was passionate, moving, and simply amazing.

I'm glad that I had such a great week of pampering and cultural experiences, because now I'm stuck at home with strep, and my doctor has literally forbidden me to go to work until Thursday. Plus we have no cable at home (Comcast finally found us out, those bastards), so its going to be torture just sitting around doing nothing. Ironically, Dr. Knox also strongly recommended that I get a massage, so I'll be at IO tomorrow getting a hot stone treatment.

At least I don't have a brain tumor.

0 comments:

 

About