Powered by Blogger.

7.30.2006

work, food, work, week

This past week was consumed by work, work, and more work. I've been trying desperately to get a very complex schedule together, and I basically spent all week buried in it. Even with neglecting all of my other work, I didn't get it done until Friday. Gahh! Now I'm so behind. My brain is still slightly mushy from the mental exertion... though not nearly as bad as Thurs and Fri, where the only things I could do afterhours was stare blankly at the wall.

I did, however, manage to sneak in a couple of nights of fun and food. On Wed, Carol, Cayce, Monique and I went to Lime, a crazy-retro restaurant in the Castro. The decor was out of control! We were all admittedly apprehensive after seeing the website, but it turned out that the food was quite good for the price. And the price! $30 per person, and that includes alcohol! That in itself is worthy of a good Yelp review. I also loved the mini-ness of everything because, well, I'm a mini-person.

Afterwards, we headed a couple of blocks to get super yummy gelato at Gelateria Naia. I'm not usually an iced-treats fan, but it was very, very good. I got Asian pear and Chocolate-Meringue
in my cup... nice and light, and I'm sure very caloric!

Last night (Sat), A came over and we ate at my place. I made my favorite Moroccan steak - ribeye, majoram, garlic, olive oil - plus roasted sweet corn, broiled butter potatoes and Greek salad. We were supposed to cook the steaks on the grill, but A admitted defeat with our grill on the impossibly windy balcony, so we cooked everything in the broiler. Topped with a delicious reserve Cab from Benzinger - courtesy of Caro's generous family friends - it was a fantastic meal.

We decided to be old people and stayed in to watch Garden State. What a weird movie - very funny, but weird. As A said, "Natalie Portman does Jersey Girl well." I concur - she sounded exactly like my little sister. The scenes with the fire arrow, knight speaking Klingon and the funeral were all hilarious. If you haven't seen it, you should definitely check it out.

This morning, we lounged about and then finally headed to Town's End in search of mini-muffins. The line was out the door, but we finally got served. A of course got his humungo pancakes (drowned in syrup); I had a surprisingly light frittata with leek, artichoke and pecorino cheese. Yum! Completely stuffed, we went to our respective homes and then passed out for a couple of hours.

Its amazing that I managed to stay mostly on plan this week, with the work and the food. I must go to the gym a lot next week :-)

On the non-food related end, I splurged on a fabulous ESQ Swiss watch that I'd been eyeing for weeks, and also found the Ariella silver stacking rings that I've been searching for forever. I got a set back in Feb, but lost 2 out of the 3, so I'm very excited that Nordy's is carrying them again.

0 comments:

 

About