Powered by Blogger.

9.27.2005

celebration at jardiniere

Last night, Topher and I went to Jardinière to celebrate the GMAT score.

Ohhhhh.

Ohhhhhhhhhh...

OHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

And, sorry Topher - but it wasn't you that was causing all the orgasms.

We started out with a 1/2 bottle of Châteauneuf-du-Pape, which I thought hit the perfect note for the food we ordered. It was slightly sweet, and very light. Not anything that sent shivers up my spine (that is reserved for the Syrah that we had at Cafe Claude), but it worked well for dinner on a Monday night. And I did quite like the glass - it was the size of my head.



The food? I can't even begin to describe how amazing it was. We ordered several small dishes and just one main course to share. First came the Tombo Tuno "Crudo" - a fantastically raw cut of tuna, dropped in sizzling olive oil for just 30 seconds, then paired with shelling beans and cucumbers. Fantastic. This was accompanied by a trio of Seared Dayboat Scallops, topped with crispy fried onions and drizzled with a tomato-chili oil.

I never thought that I could love raw fish that wasn't sushi.


The Tuna Crudo


Seared Scallops

Next came the Duck Liver Mousse (of course), and the Heirloom Tomato Salad with Avocado and Olive Spread. I always love anything pate-ish, but I have to say, I've had better. Oola's and Cafe Claude, particularly, come to mind. The mousse was creamy, but not very seasoned; the housemade croutons that came with were a tad too greasy. The salad, however, was exceptional. I'm so glad that its still tomato season.

We polished off our 2nd course, and the waiter brought out the Roasted Squab. This was originally only available if one ordered the tasting menu ($79), but because it was a Monday night, the chef was gracious enough to prepare a serving for us. It was tender, just rare enough, with its own juices highlighted by the haricot vert salad. I definitely recommend it.


Our cute little Squab

The grand finale of the night was our one and only main course - a finely pan-seared Alaskan Halibut with Chanterelle Mushrooms, Saffron Potatoes and Sweet Corn. Wow. Wow. Wow. If I thought I loved raw fish after the tuna, the halibut only made me realize that well-prepared white fish is even better. I even declared that I was in love after my first bite... and you all know that I do not love easily.


Topher gets all Zoolander with the Halibut.
(Yeah, you try convincing me he's not gay.)


We were way too stuffed for dessert, but they brought us a complimentary dish of biscotti, candied lemon rind, and fudge with walnuts. I almost fell out of my chair from the first bite of the fudge, but Topher liked the lemon rind best.


Me, biscotti, fudge and the table

By that point, my clothes felt so tight that all I wanted to do was to go home, change into sweats and pass out. Which is exactly what I did.

I haven't had that sweet of a sleep since... well, its been a long time. Which just goes to show that a great score on the GMATs, and fantastic food can cure any insomniac's troubles.

0 comments:

 

About