Powered by Blogger.

6.28.2005

forget the finger, its all about the frog

Now that I'm a soon-to-be-ex-eBay employee, I can happily share this story with the world. This morning, the following email was sent to the eBay distribution list:

Last Wednesday, an employee found a small frog in their salad. No, this is not a joke. And since the topic has been “the talk” of the campus, I thought it would be best to let you know what happened and what we’re doing about it. After all, you trust us to provide you with healthy and safe food, and we’re not about to betray that trust.

I wish I could say “frog” was on the menu that day, but it wasn’t. The frog landed in the employee salad due to human error. Because of our strident commitment to offering organic produce, we are at risk of things like this happening. Frogs and other amphibious creatures are used in the organic process to rid the produce of pests and bugs. This keeps the produce healthy and clean, without having to resort to chemical pesticides. The produce goes through eight levels of cleaning and scrutiny before it even gets into our kitchen. Somewhere, along the line, the frog was smarter than we were.

This explains how the frog got in the salad, but it doesn’t excuse it. We take pride in serving you, our colleagues at eBay. When there are so many alternatives in the San Jose area, we know we have to maintain higher standards. Our already stringent internal inspection process will now include the following: Lettuce will be placed on a sheet pan and hand-placed by small amounts into a plastic container to be sent to the Greens stations. This should help eliminate the prospect of an incident like this happening again.

I understand that you may be concerned by this situation. But please know that we will work very hard to prevent this from happening again. And you can trust us that we will continue to prepare exceptional food that is both safe and healthy for you.

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.


I think the grossest thing is that the frog was still (partially) alive, or it sounded like it from the email that was floating around:

You may have already heard, but if not, you may want to think twice about eating at eBay Café (especially the salads!). Today Karen was eating a salad and found a partially alive ~ 2" frog crawling through her meal (well, not really crawling)!

And of course, there are pictures (ewwwwwwwww):



Wasn't there something in the Bible about raining frogs and the end of the world? Can I tell you again how happy I am with my new job?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I saw your subject "forget the finger" it made me think about the many finger-ish conversations we have been having recently. In that context, the frog thing sounded especially scary.

On another note, since about the age of 12 I have never been able to bring myself to eat salad on airplanes. That was the year I found a rather large slug (fortunately a whole one, not a partial one) on my plate as I flew the friendly skies.

Anonymous said...

EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

 

About