Powered by Blogger.

8.06.2006

the 1259 reunion

On Thursday afternoon, I get a call on my cell:
Colin: Hey Serena! What's shaking? Wanted to catch up with you and see what's going on.
Serena: Good, good. What are you up to?
Colin: Actually, believe it or not, I'm in town.
Serena: Seriously! Well, I definitely want to see you.
Colin: I'd love to see you too. As a matter of fact...
As it turns out, Mr. Colin, formerly of 1259 fame, was homeless. He was supposed to stay at a friend of his' apartment - this friend is on an extended vacation in South America. However, the key that he gave him didn't work, so Colin called me while he was sitting outside on Market Street with all of his luggage.

And thus began the 1259 reunion weekend.

The Lady with the Sweet Lookin' Buns
Not only was Colin in town, but so was Brian - a.k.a. Brian #1, the Original Brian, or yubm. He and his gf Martha coincided a trip to SF from LA so that they could see Colin here.

Since I was still not feeling great, I declined midnight gelato in North Beach on Friday evening when they arrived. But we did join up for dim sum at City View, which lacked a city view, but had some tasty treats and good laughs.

While we were desperately waiting for fresh dim sum, all of the dessert dishes came out. Of course, when we were ready for dessert, all we got was the stuff that we were pining for - lettuce cups, steamed Chinese broccoli, porridge.

Brian, looking around, commented, "I want to find the lady with the sweet lookin' buns."


And they arrive! Brian with a leer...


... but not a Leery.

Afterwards, we headed towards North Beach so that Martha and Brian can hit up a store called Double Punch. On the way, we pass by the most excellent place ever: the AMD Trading Association, which not only specializes in ping-pong accessories, but has a Table Tennis Robot.


The Robot!



After strolling around the Haight for a while with them, I headed home since I was still feeling feverish.

She's Like the Wind
This morning, we decided to venture out again for food. Restaurant of choice: Blue.

Apparently, this place has some kick-ass Mac 'n Cheese. I asked the waiter on his opinion, and he said, "Its the best you'll ever have... unless your mom just makes the world's most amazing Mac 'n Cheese."

Puzzled, I looked at him. "Does it look like my mom makes Mac 'n Cheese?"

Regardless, he was right. Brian, Martha and Colin all opted for the dish, while Martha's friend Ed and I chose some breakfasty foods.



But I was hardly Mac 'n Cheese-free. I'd gotten the Chorizo Scramble, which came with hot tortillas. Inspiration struck, and I wrapped some of indeed the world's best Mac 'n Cheese in a tortilla with ketchup. With "She's Like the Wind" playing in the background, it was like white trash heaven.

"All we need now is some kimchee," Ed commented dryly.



Before we parted ways for the weekend, we had to take one last reunion picture. So we struck a pose outside of the restaurant, reverting to our usual, violent ways. Martha even joined in the act.





Colin will be here through next weekend, and we've already decided that after he graduates from law school, we're going to move in together and get a dog. But I'll still miss these two.

0 comments:

 

About